Autoplay unmuted (with sound) is not recommended, because of the autoplay policies that most popular browsers implement. For example, Chrome's autoplay policies taken from their developer site are:
- Muted autoplay is always allowed.
- Autoplay with sound is allowed if:
- User has interacted with the domain (click, tap, etc.).
- On desktop, the user's Media Engagement Index threshold has been crossed, meaning the user has previously played video with sound.
- The user has added the site to their home screen on mobile or installed the PWA on desktop.
- Top frames can delegate autoplay permission to their iframes to allow autoplay with sound.
Our hosted web player will place a with a big "click to unmute" overlay button over the player so it's very obvious for users.
We have an example of this here:
Playback results are very inconsistent when trying to override autoplay policies in Chrome and other browsers, however autoplay muted works consistently.